Fiol & Morros Law Group represents clients in central Florida who have suffered serious brain injuries. If you or a loved one recently sustained such an injury, contact us. It is essential to know your rights and options for legal recourse after another party causes a head injury, so consider the following information and contact our firm to schedule a consultation with one of our brain injury attorneys in Tampa.
Understanding Brain Injuries
Many types of accidents can result in traumatic head and brain injuries. Brain injuries can include:
- Impact wounds
- Penetrating injuries
A traumatic brain injury can have unpredictable effects, and the symptoms and recovery process are unique to each victim. It can be very difficult to predict the effects a brain injury can have, so it is difficult to know the extent of the economic impact from life altering brain trauma without professional assistance of a Tampa personal injury attorney.
Some of the most common causes of brain injuries are:
- Sports accidents
- Construction injuries and accidents
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Oxygen deprivation, such as a drowning incident
- Infant abuse, specifically shaken baby syndrome
- Anesthesia errors
- Interpersonal violence or intentional torts such as assault
What Compensation Could I Get for a Brain Injury?
A brain injury could heal on its own, or it could take expensive medical treatments, surgeries and rehabilitative therapies to help the victim recover. Some people will never fully regain their physical and/or cognitive abilities after a traumatic brain injury, resulting in lifelong medical costs and disability expenses such as live-in care. The compensation you might receive for a brain injury in Tampa depends on the severity and extent of your injuries. In most cases, a courtroom will award a greater amount for more serious brain injuries.
A brain injury lawsuit in Florida could be worth six or seven figures depending on your damages. If you or a loved one will need permanent care or suffered significant losses, an insurance company or judge may issue an award to match. Serious losses include physical disabilities, the inability to return to work, memory loss, cognitive challenges, lost quality of life and wrongful death in Tampa. Since no two brain injuries are the same, no two brain injury claims are alike either. Speak to a Tampa brain injury attorney from Fiol & Morros Law Group for an accurate evaluation of what case could be worth.
Will I Receive Compensation for Medical?
Most brain injury claims in Florida result in compensation for the victim and family’s medical bills. This will only be the case, however, if you had to go to the doctor or hospital because of your head or brain injury. If you only suffered a slight bump to the head and never saw a doctor for official concussion diagnosis, the courts may not award you medical damages. You or your family must have spent money on medical care to qualify for this type of reimbursement.
If you do qualify for medical compensation, most financial awards will go directly to the hospital or health care center where you received treatment and owe outstanding bills. If your health insurance company fronted the costs of your care, it may request repayment from your personal injury award. Your lawyer can help arrange payments to repay your medical arrears to insurance companies and hospitals in Tampa.
Damages in a Brain Injury Lawsuit
If another person or party caused the injury to you or a loved one, it is important to connect with a reliable brain injury lawyer as soon as possible to start building a case. A successful lawsuit can yield significant compensation.
- Medical expenses. A serious brain injury could cost a victim thousands of dollars in medical bills. A victim may need treatments such as surgeries, medications and rehabilitative therapies for life. The defendant could owe compensation for all past and future health care costs.
- Lost income. A brain injury may force a victim to miss work, and he or she can claim the wages lost in that time as damages in the lawsuit. If a brain injury prevents the victim from ever working again, he or she may be able to secure compensation for lost future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. Brain injuries have the potential to cause life-altering problems, and a plaintiff can receive compensation for the physical pain, mental suffering, and emotional distress resulting from a defendant’s behavior.
How Can I Prove a Serious Head Injury?
Most head and brain injuries will appear on medical scans. A CT scan of the head could show brain injuries such as hematomas, hemorrhages or swelling. If you visited the doctor and received any physical exams, tests or x-rays to reach your brain injury diagnosis, you or your lawyer could use your medical records as proof of your injury. Medical documentation and testimony from a brain injury expert could help you prove the nature and extent of your injury before a judge or jury.
Fiol & Morros Law Group could help you prove a serious head injury during an insurance claim or lawsuit. A lawyer can obtain copies of your medical records and other forms of evidence, including police reports, accident reports and eyewitness statements. A lawyer can also hire brain injury experts and accident reconstructionists to help strengthen your claim to damages. Using an attorney to represent your brain injury case could help you secure fair compensation for your life-changing losses.
Why Do I Need an Attorney After a Brain Injury?
Even if a case seems simple, countless possible factors can complicate a lawsuit. Brain injury cases are especially complex and may entail significant damages. The average person with no legal training or experience will probably not have the time, resources, or energy to handle such a case without an attorney. Additionally, many brain injuries will leave victims incapacitated, leaving the responsibility to pursue legal action up to a loved one who may need legal assistance.
Hiring a successful Tampa brain injury lawyer not only increases your chances of winning your case, but also increases the amount you will likely receive in compensation. The attorneys at the Fiol & Morros Law Group know how to explore every available channel of compensation for our brain injury clients. We understand how devastating these injuries can be so we do not rest until we exhaust every available option for compensation for our clients.
Why Choose Fiol & Morros Law Group?
- Our firm is a bilingual law office helping clients in both English and Spanish, and our office is conveniently located near the downtown Tampa courthouse.
- We have staff available to answer phones 24 hours a day every day of the week so someone is always available to answer your questions whenever you need help.
- Fiol & Morros Law Group has been helping central Florida clients with their legal matters since 2002, and we provide personal attention to every case we take.
- Our firm offers free initial case evaluations so clients have an opportunity to find out whether they have grounds for a lawsuit.
Contact Us Today
Every severe head injury is different. Speak to a Tampa brain injury attorney about the specific details of your particular injury to find out if you have grounds for a case case. If someone owed you a standard of care, breached this standard, and caused your head injury, you likely have a case of negligence. Contact us today for a free consultation.